Saturday, March 13, 2010

Hair -- the LEAST of My Worries!!

When I entered the salon on Tuesday night my hair was 6 inches longer than when I left two hours later. The color had gone from pretty darned blond to a darker blond with some lighter blond woven highlights. (When I was leaving another stylist saw me and sucked in her breath and stared -- "You cut all her hair off!!!")

I was ready for a change...or so I thought. Four days later I'm still trying to figure out what to do with this shorter length that now gentle curls just under my ear lobes. I've experimented with a curling iron, hot rulers, and just plain straight.

Still shock myself when I catch my reflection in a mirror. Not comfortable at all with this look I haven't sported in over eight years. Gone is my ponytail tied with classic grosgrain ribbons. The varied collection of clips and barrettes lie idle on the shelf. No chignons possible now. I am just as confident with or without the long locks. But my self-image has changed because I still catch myself lifting my hand to flip the ends over my shoulder as I lean over or go to gather the entire mass to clip up while at the gym as always was my habit.

This new do -- Does it make me look younger? Older? Updated? So far the reviews have been stellar, applauding my decision. I still have my reservations.

But you know what?? Hair grows. It is one of those wonderful things in our life that doesn't change....just goes on and on. The Earth didn't stop turning because of Tuesday night. I'm not scarred. Didn't lose a limb. Not blinded or lost my sight or life. As an old co-worker used to say, "There's just a few days between a good and a bad haircut." So simple yet so true. Bad dye job? Try again. Uneven? Trim it. Too short? Just wait those few days.

Hair. It defines us. Drives us crazy. Makes us feel like a queen. A sexy siren. Or grounds us and makes us realize we are beautiful just as we are.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I thought about you since you left the salon. Had a feeling you were in shock!! I really hope you "grow" to like it. I think it made you look beautiful, just as you are...inside and out!! Thanks for making me laugh! You know that "other Stylist"...isn't known for her tact, to say the least! See you soon, Love ya, Mary