Wednesday, May 26, 2010

It Does Take a Village

When Hillary Clinton published her book, I had absolutely no interest in reading it. Seemed like a waste of time. Didn't like her politics, wasn't going to support this avenue of revenue for her.

One Sunday, months later, I was in our church's library and I saw a copy lying on the bookshelf. I walked over and picked it up. Flipped through it. Not a very thick book. An easy, quick read. So I sat down and skimmed through it. Aside from her pointed left-wing comments, the concept of the book was a logical one: We do depend on each other to guide, nurture, educate, prepare, protect our children. BUT...BUT... I, as the parent, am ultimately responsible for my own.

We cannot put the blame on a teacher or a scout leader or a coach or a neighbor when we are disappointed in the behavior or choices of our children. Morals, manners, personal integrity, faith, self-esteem, discipline must be given the means to grow and thrive in our own homes. As parents we most definitely have the right to choose who we want surrounding our children to keep them safe, act as good examples, and broaden their horizons in new and healthy and strengthening ways.

That's what LOVE means. That's how RESPECT develops. That's an EXPECTATION. That's our JOB.

1 comment:

realmaplesyrup said...

agreed. I think more parents need to take more of an active role in their child's life and starting fixing it within their own walls, instead of expecting everyone else outside to do it for them. It starts with us. It should end with us.