Monday, August 17, 2009

From Then....To Now

When I look at my son today I see a tall, cute college guy who still exhibits that mischievous gleam in his eye, has the ability to make us cr-a-zy, and gives us moments of shining promise for the man is he becoming.

Of all the times I shared with my son by myself the character he created by himself after a bath one night out-of-the-blue are some of my fondest. He climbed out of the tub, curled himself into a tight little ball on the floor and proceeded to totally cover himself with a towel. I used his name something like "Alex, let's get you dried off." He responded in a very low, deep voice, "I'm not Alex." "Oh, I'm sorry! Who are you?" "I am Bob the Lump." I was so surprised. I just giggled went right along with this fabulous, creative turn in the emerging personality huddled in front of me on the tile. I properly introduced myself to 'Bob" and that began a friendship with a facet of my son's imagination which appeared after every bath for a very long time. Those were wonderful moments.

Now I look at him and see my temperament and his father's ability to argue extemporaneously.
I see my artistic slant and his dad's sports expertise. But more importantly I see his own big heart, his stubbornness, his wonderful sense of humor, his need to be taken seriously. I see a relentless three year old now a young adult who will not only survive but will thrive and succeed as a strong Christian bound to make his own personal mark on this world he embraces with arms wide open. And isn't that the grandest blessing of all.

2 comments:

Shalise said...

Julie,

Just caught up on your posts about raising a son-really fun to read about your memories, especially as I'm creating my own with little Vincenzo. This is the greatest joy I've ever experienced.

Anonymous said...

you are a very lucky mom.

no, wait. it isn't luck at all. you worked hard, and you deserve this.

:)