Saturday, October 31, 2009

Milestones

Have you ever read Simple Abundance? A very good friend of mine sent it to me. I leafed through it and even though I appreciated the time and trouble she went through to send it to me, I put it in my bookshelf and literally ignored it until Jan 1st of the following year. I pulled it back out feeling honor bound and determined that I would honor her selection consciously making the daily reads a priority.

Gotta tell ya it was a rough start. I scoffed (yes, truly scoffed literally) at some of author's exercises. I rolled my eyes (yes, again, literally) when she told me to light some candles, climb into my bed surrounding myself with pets, favorite things, and just enjoy the moment. WHAT?*#@?? Who has time for that crap? I have one day a week to get everything done that I want to and I'm supposed to throw open the windows, inhale the fresh air, make lists of what I loved about my childhood and fill a drawer full things that make me happy??? Well, I suppose it's cheaper than a therapist but really, Sara Ban Breathnach, are you nuts??

With much trepidation and head shaking I stuck to the plan and finished the book in 365 days. That was December 31, 1998. Twelve years ago. And I'm still thinking about it. When I took away the fluff, accepted that she referred to God as the Great Spirit and other some such nicknames, put my own prejudices behind me to go-with-the flow of the moment, I found that she had some interesting things to say. As Life would have it I actually 'lived' on July 3rd what she actually published in her July 4th posting. I had big expectations for that Friday. VOLUMINOUS big. The last day of work at a job I held for fifteen years. And let me tell you as far as those expectations went -- the day was a total flop. My feelings were hurt. My spirit was disappointed. I thought I would be treated as others who had left with far fewer years contributed than I had. So when I read that next-day entry, I was flabbergasted. She was writing to me. To me. Who knew the timing would be perfect for my life and what I had felt. Was still feeling. On that day. That singular day. It was one of those life lesson kind-of-days.

It is an interesting book. Worth the fifteen minutes you'll spend each day. I started out dragging my feet and protesting loudly. Oh! so loudly. I finished it feeling all the better for it. Do something outside the norm today. Go kicking and screaming into whatever it is you chose to challenge yourself. You'll be better for it, too. On some level.With some new perspective. Promise.

No comments: