Thursday, April 5, 2012

Maundy Thursday -- Thankful Today of ALL Days

Earlier this morning I was asking myself how I would feel if I knew my earthly life was going to end. In just hours. Hanging on a coarse wooden cross at the age of 33, absorbing ALL of the sin of the world so that believers could receive eternal life. Honestly I will admit the 'weight' of that choice felt totally overwhelming to me. Yet Jesus watched as every necessary piece of his last hours played out before him and he never faltered. He knew in his heart beyond the excruciating physical pain yet to come lay His Father's most incredible gift. Life with Him. For us all.

About an hour ago I sent the above to our neighborhood email group. Upon further reflection I want to add this note:

My junior year in high school I was chosen to carry the Christ candle out of our Maundy Thursday service. As the candle slowly moved down the main aisle any and all other lights behind the recession were extinguished. The sanctuary was left in complete and utter darkness. Those in the pews were absolutely silent. Each understood the symbolism of the exit of the Light of the World from the Garden of Gethsemane. The sacrifice about to be made. The ancient prophesy's impending fulfillment.

The following afternoon my French teacher, Mrs. Morgan, was sharing her experience of the service with our class. I'll never forget the question she posed to all her students while looking straight at me: "How can your life NOT be affected by that?"

Thirty-nine years later mine still is.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I also used to attend those Maundy Thursday services Julie wrote about and they too have left a lasting effect on me. Jesus never felt sin before until that night in Gethsemane and then came all the sins: past, present, and future. Just like in accounting, there is a reconciliation of God's children deeds(good and bad) which includes the atonement of Jesus the Christ for our sins. Its depth and breath I do not fully understand, but I do know He loved me enough to suffer for me so I would not have to for my misdeeds. The only thing I can do in return, is try my best to be the best. To be kind, give service to others, be teachable, say my prayers and to show my respect by attending church among other things. I love my Heavenly Father and his son, Jesus Christ for all they do for me. Amen.